Illegal and irregular immigrationForeigners who do not have a regular entry visa or a permit of residence are removed
- Foreigners who entered Italy without a regular entry visa are illegal immigrants
- Foreigners who lost the conditions necessary to stay in Italy (i.e. expired and not renewed permit of residence that they held when they entered Italy) are irregular immigrants
ACCORDING TO REGULATIONS IN FORCE, ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS MUST BE REMOVED
They cannot be immediately removed if:
- they must be rescued
- their identity or nationality must be checked
- travel documents must be prepared
- a suitable means of transport is not available
- they must be held, by order of the “ Questore” that must be confirmed by the judge, in special Temporary Stay and Assistance Centres (art. 14 of the Consolidated Act no. 286/98) for the time strictly necessary to their identification and removal
The Ministry of the Interior takes all the measures which are necessary to enforce the removal (also through agreements with other State administrations, local bodies, owners and licensees of lands, buildings and other facilities) and to perform assistance operations.
THE CENTRAL DIRECTORATE OF THE IMMIGRATION AND FRONTIERS POLICE
It has been established within the Department for Public Security by law no. 189, 30 July 2002, the so-called “Bossi-Fini Law”, in order to foster the development of innovative and more effective action strategies, also on the international level, to combat illegal immigration and to manage issues related to the stay of foreign nationals on the Italian territory.